Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun trip has 7 senses
- trip - a journey for some purpose (usually including the return); "he took a trip to the shopping center"
--1 is a kind of journey, journeying
--1 has particulars:
- trip - a hallucinatory experience induced by drugs; "an acid trip"
--2 is a kind of hallucination
- slip, trip - an accidental misstep threatening (or causing) a fall; "he blamed his slip on the ice"; "the jolt caused many slips and a few spills"
--3 is a kind of mishap, misadventure, mischance
--3 has particulars: spill, tumble, fall
- trip, head trip - an exciting or stimulting experience
--4 is a kind of experience
- tripper, trip - a catch mechanism that acts as a switch; "the pressure activates the tripper and releases the water"
--5 is a kind of catch, stop
- trip - a light or nimble tread; "he heard the trip of women's feet overhead"
--6 is a kind of step
- trip, trip-up, stumble, misstep - an unintentional but embarrassing blunder; "he recited the whole poem without a single trip"; "he arranged his robes to avoid a trip-up later"; "confusion caused his unfortunate misstep"
--7 is a kind of blunder, blooper, bloomer, bungle, foul-up, fuckup, flub, botch, boner, boo-boo
Verb trip has 5 senses
- stumble, trip - miss a step and fall or nearly fall; "She stumbled over the tree root"
--1 is one way to move
Somebody ----s PP
- trip, trip up - cause to stumble; "The questions on the test tripped him up"
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
- travel, trip, jaunt - make a trip for pleasure
Somebody ----s somebody PP
- trip, actuate, trigger, activate, set off, spark off, spark, trigger off, touch off - put in motion or move to act; "trigger a reaction"; "actuate the circuits"
--4 is one way to initiate, pioneer
Somebody ----s something
Something ----s something
- trip, trip out, turn on, get off - get high, stoned, or drugged; "He trips every weekend"
Somebody ----s on something