Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun surge has 3 senses
- rush, spate, surge, upsurge - a sudden forceful flow
--1 is a kind of flow, flowing
--1 has particulars: debris surge, debris storm; onrush
- surge, upsurge - a sudden or abrupt strong increase; "stimulated a surge of speculation"; "an upsurge of emotion"; "an upsurge in violent crime"
--2 is a kind of increase, step-up
- billow, surge - a large sea wave
--3 is a kind of wave, moving ridge
Verb surge has 5 senses
- billow, surge, heave - rise and move, as in waves or billows; "The army surged forward"
--1 is one way to inflate, blow up
- soar, soar up, soar upwards, surge, zoom - rise rapidly; "the dollar soared against the yes"
--2 is one way to rise, lift, arise, move up, go up, come up, uprise
- tide, surge - rise or move foward; "surging waves"
--3 is one way to run, flow, feed, course
- scend, surge - rise or heave upward under the influence of a natural force such as a wave; "the boats surged"
--4 is one way to rise, lift, arise, move up, go up, come up, uprise
Something is ----ing PP
- surge - see one's performance improve; "He levelled the score and then surged ahead"
--5 is one way to better, improve, ameliorate, meliorate