Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun settlement has 7 senses
- colony, settlement - a body of people who settle far from home but maintain ties with their homeland; inhabitants remain nationals of their home state but are not literally under the home state's system of government
--1 is a kind of body
--1 has members: colonial
--1 has particulars:
- village, small town, settlement - a community of people smaller than a town
--2 is a kind of community
--2 has particulars: moshav
- settlement - a conclusive resolution of a matter and disposition of it
--3 is a kind of agreement, understanding
--3 has particulars:
- colonization, colonisation, settlement - the act of colonizing; the establishment of colonies; "the British colonization of America"
--4 is a kind of constitution, establishment, formation, organization, organisation
--4 has particulars: population
- settlement, resolution, closure - something settled or resolved; the outcome of decision making; "the finally reached a settlement with the union"; "they never did achieve a final resolution of their differences"; "he needed to grieve before he could achieve a sense of closure"
--5 is a kind of decision making, deciding
- settlement - an area where a group of families live together
--6 is a kind of geographical area, geographic area, geographical region, geographic region
--6 has particulars: village, hamlet
- liquidation, settlement - termination of a business operation by using its assets to discharge its liabilities
--7 is a kind of termination, ending, conclusion
--7 has particulars: viatical settlement, viaticus settlement