Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun ross has 5 senses
- Ross, John Ross, Sir John Ross - Scottish explorer who led Arctic expeditions that yielded geographic discoveries while searching for the Northwest Passage (1777-1856)
--1 is a kind of explorer, adventurer
- Ross, James Clark Ross, Sir James Clark Ross - British explorer of the Arctic and Antarctic; located the north magnetic pole in 1831; discovered the Ross Sea in Antarctica; nephew of Sir John Ross (1800-1862)
--2 is a kind of explorer, adventurer
- Ross, Sir Ronald Ross - British physician who discovered that mosquitos transmit malaria (1857-1932)
--3 is a kind of doctor, doc, physician, MD, Dr., medico
- Ross, Nellie Ross, Nellie Tayloe Ross - a politician in Wyoming who was the first woman governor in the United States (1876-1977)
--4 is a kind of politician, politico, pol, political leader
- Ross, Betsy Ross, Betsy Griscom Ross - American seamstress said to have made the first American flag at the request of George Washington (1752-1836)
--5 is a kind of dressmaker, modiste, needlewoman, seamstress, sempstress