Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Adjective roaring has 2 senses
- booming, flourishing, palmy, prospering, prosperous, roaring, thriving - very lively and profitable; "flourishing businesses"; "a palmy time for stockbrokers"; "a prosperous new business"; "doing a roaring trade"; "a thriving tourist center"; "did a thriving business in orchids"
Antonym: unsuccessful (indirect, via successful)
- deafening, earsplitting, roaring, thunderous, thundery - loud enough to cause (temporary) hearing loss
Antonym: soft (indirect, via loud)
Adverbial roaring has 1 sense
- roaring - extremely; "roaring drunk"
Noun roaring has 2 senses
- boom, roar, roaring, thunder - a deep prolonged loud noise
--1 is a kind of noise
- bellow, bellowing, holla, holler, hollering, hollo, holloa, roar, roaring, yowl - a very loud utterance (like the sound of an animal); "his bellow filled the hallway"
--2 is a kind of cry, outcry, call, yell, shout, vociferation
Verb roar has 6 senses
- roar, howl - make a loud noise, as of wind, water, or vehicles; "The wind was howling in the trees"; "The water roared down the chute"
--1 is one way to make noise, resound, noise
Cars roar in the streets
The streets roar with cars
- thunder, roar - utter words loudly and forcefully; "`Get out of here,' he roared"
--2 is one way to shout
Sam and Sue roar
They roar that there was a traffic accident
- howl, ululate, wail, roar, yawl - emit long loud cries; "wail in self-pity"; "howl with sorrow"
--3 is one way to shout, shout out, cry, call, yell, scream, holler, hollo, squall
- roar - act or proceed in a riotous, turbulent, or disorderly way; "desperadoes from the hills regularly roared in to take over the town"-R.A.Billington
--4 is one way to proceed, go forward, continue
They roar up the hill
- bellow, roar - make a loud noise, as of animal; "The bull bellowed"
--5 is one way to utter, emit, let out, let loose
The animals roar
- roar, howl - laugh unrestrainedly and heartily
--6 is one way to laugh, express joy, express mirth