Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun cry has 5 senses
- cry, outcry, call, yell, shout, vociferation - a loud utterance; often in protest or opposition; "the speaker was interrupted by loud cries from the rear of the audience"
--1 is a kind of utterance, vocalization
--1 has particulars:
| ||bellow, bellowing, holla, holler, hollering, hollo, holloa, roar, roaring, yowl; blue murder; catcall; clamor, clamoring, clamour, clamouring, hue and cry; halloo; hoot; hosanna; noise; scream, screaming, shriek, shrieking, screech, screeching; whoop; war cry, war whoop, rallying cry, battle cry; yelling, shouting; yodel; boo, hoot, Bronx cheer, hiss, raspberry, razzing, snort, bird|
- cry, yell - a loud utterance of emotion (especially when inarticulate); "a cry of rage"; "a yell of pain"
--2 is a kind of utterance, vocalization
--2 has particulars: complaint
- war cry, rallying cry, battle cry, cry, watchword - a slogan used to rally support for a cause; "a cry to arms"; "our watchword will be `democracy'"
--3 is a kind of motto, slogan, catchword, shibboleth
- cry - a fit of weeping; "had a good cry"
--4 is a kind of effusion, gush, outburst, blowup, ebullition
- cry - the characteristic utterance of an animal; "animal cries filled the night"
--5 is a kind of sound
--5 has particulars:
Verb cry has 7 senses
- shout, shout out, cry, call, yell, scream, holler, hollo, squall - utter a sudden loud cry; "she cried with pain when the doctor inserted the needle"; "I yelled to her from the window but she couldn't hear me"
--1 is one way to utter, emit, let out, let loose
- cry, weep - shed tears because of sadness, rage, or pain; "She cried bitterly when she heard the news of his death"; "The girl in the wheelchair wept with frustration when she could not get up the stairs"
--2 is one way to express emotion, express feelings
Antonyms: laugh, express joy, express mirth
- exclaim, cry, cry out, outcry, call out, shout - utter aloud; often with surprise, horror, or joy; "`I won!' he exclaimed"; "`Help!' she cried"; "`I'm here,' the mother shouted when she saw her child looking lost"
--3 is one way to express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to
They cry that there was a traffic accident
- cry, blazon out - proclaim or announce in public; "before we had newspapers, a town cryer would cry the news"; "He cried his merchandise in the market square"
--4 is one way to announce, denote
Somebody ----s something
- cry - demand immediate action; "This situation is crying for attention"
--5 is one way to want, need, require
Something is ----ing PP
- cry - utter a characteristic sound; "The cat was crying"
--6 is one way to utter, emit, let out, let loose
You can hear animals cry in the meadows
The meadows cry with animals
- cry - bring into a particular state by crying; "The little boy cried himself to sleep"
--7 is one way to change, alter, modify
Somebody ----s somebody PP