Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective negative has 9 senses
- negative - characterized by or displaying negation or denial or opposition or resistance; having no positive features; "a negative outlook on life"; "a colorless negative personality"; "a negative evaluation"; "a negative reaction to an advertising campaign"
Antonyms: neutral, neutralized, neutralised, viewless, positive, affirmative, optimistic, constructive
- negative - reckoned in a direction opposite to that regarded as positive
Antonym: forward (indirect, via backward)
- negative, electronegative - having a negative electric charge; "electrons are negative"
Antonyms: neutral, electroneutral, positive, electropositive
- negative - expressing or consisting of a negation or refusal or denial
Antonyms: affirmative, affirmatory, assentient, favorable, positive
- negative - having the quality of something harmful or unpleasant; "ran a negative campaign"; "delinquents retarded by their negative outlook on life"
Antonym: good (indirect, via bad)
- negative, disconfirming - not indicating the presence of microorganisms or disease or a specific condition; "the HIV test was negative"
Antonyms: positive, confirming
- negative - less than zero; "a negative number"
Antonym: plus (indirect, via minus)
- damaging, negative - designed or tending to discredit, especially without positive or helpful suggestions; "negative criticism"
Antonym: constructive (indirect, via destructive)
- minus, negative - involving disadvantage or harm; "minus (or negative) factors"
Antonym: advantageous (indirect, via disadvantageous)