Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun love has 6 senses
- love - a strong positive emotion of regard and affection; "his love for his work"; "children need a lot of love"
--1 is a kind of emotion
Antonyms: hate, hatred
--1 has particulars:
- love, passion - any object of warm affection or devotion; "the theater was her first love" or "he has a passion for cock fighting";
--2 is a kind of object
- beloved, dear, dearest, loved one, honey, love - a beloved person; used as terms of endearment
--3 is a kind of lover
- love - a deep feeling of sexual desire and attraction; "their love left them indifferent to their surroundings"; "she was his first love"
--4 is a kind of sexual desire, concupiscence, physical attraction
- love - a score of zero in tennis or squash; "it was 40 love"
--5 is a kind of score
- sexual love, lovemaking, making love, love, love life - sexual activities (often including sexual intercourse) between two people; "his lovemaking disgusted her"; "he hadn't had any love in months"; "he has a very complicated love life"
--6 is a kind of sexual activity, sexual practice, sex, sex activity
Verb love has 4 senses
- love - have a great affection or liking for; "I love French food"; "She loves her boss and works hard for him"
Antonyms: hate, detest
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
- love, enjoy - get pleasure from; "I love cooking"
--2 is one way to like
They love him to write the letter
- love - be enamored or in love with; "She loves her husband deeply"
--3 is one way to love
Sam cannot love Sue
- roll in the hay, love, make out, make love, sleep with, get laid, have sex, know, do it, be intimate, have intercourse, have it away, have it off, screw, fuck, jazz, eff, hump, lie with, bed, have a go at it, bang, get it on, bonk - have sexual intercourse with; "This student sleeps with everyone in her dorm"; "Adam knew Eve"; "Were you ever intimate with this man?"
--4 is one way to copulate, mate, pair, couple