Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun embrace has 3 senses
- embrace, embracing - the act of clasping another person in the arms (as in greeting or affection)
--1 is a kind of clasp, clench, clutch, clutches, grasp, grip, hold
--1 has particulars:
- embrace - the state of taking in or encircling; "an island in the embrace of the sea"
--2 is a kind of inclusion
- embrace, bosom - a close affectionate and protective acceptance; "his willing embrace of new ideas"; "in the bosom of the family"
--3 is a kind of adoption, acceptance, acceptation, espousal
Verb embrace has 3 senses
- embrace, encompass, comprehend, cover - include in scope; include as part of something broader; have as one's sphere or territory; "This group encompasses a wide range of people from different backgrounds"; "this should cover everyone in the group"
--1 is one way to include
Something ----s something
- embrace, hug, bosom, squeeze - hug, usually with fondness; "Hug me, please"; "They embraced"
--2 is one way to clasp
Sam and Sue embrace
Sam cannot embrace Sue
- espouse, embrace, adopt, sweep up - take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own; "She embraced Catholocism"; "They adopted the Jewish faith"
--3 is one way to accept
Somebody ----s something