Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun succession has 5 senses
- sequence, chronological sequence, succession, successiveness, chronological succession - a following of one thing after another in time; "the doctor saw a sequence of patients"
--1 is a kind of temporal arrangement, temporal order
--1 has particulars: rain, pelting; rotation; row; run
- succession - a group of people or things arranged or following in order; "a succession of stalls offering soft drinks"; "a succession of failures"
--2 is a kind of series
--2 has particulars: cascade; parade; streak, run
- succession, sequence - the action of following in order; "he played the trumps in sequence"
--3 is a kind of order, ordering
--3 has particulars: alternation
- succession, ecological succession - (ecology) the gradual and orderly process of change in an ecosystem brought about by the progressive replacement of one community by another until a stable climax is established
--4 is a kind of natural process, natural action, action, activity
- succession, taking over - acquisition of property by descent or by will
--5 is a kind of acquisition