Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun shade has 8 senses
- shade, shadiness, shadowiness - relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body; "it is much cooler in the shade"; "there's too much shadiness to take good photographs"
--1 is a kind of semidarkness
--1 has particulars: shadow
- shade, tint, tincture, tone - a quality of a given color that differs slightly from a primary color; "after several trials he mixed the shade of pink that she wanted"
--2 is a kind of color, colour, coloring, colouring
--2 has particulars: undertone, tinge
- shade - protective covering that protects something from direct sunlight; "they used umbrellas as shades"; "as the sun moved he readjusted the shade"
--3 is a kind of protective covering, protective cover, protection
--3 has particulars:
- nuance, nicety, shade, subtlety, refinement - a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude; "without understanding the finer nuances you can't enjoy the humor"; "don't argue about shades of meaning"
--4 is a kind of meaning, significance, signification, import
- shade - a position of relative inferiority; "an achievement that puts everything else in the shade"; "his brother's success left him in the shade"
--5 is a kind of inferiority, lower status, lower rank
- tad, shade - a slight amount or degree of difference; "a tad too expensive"; "not a tad of difference"; "the new model is a shade better than the old one"
--6 is a kind of small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
- ghost, shade, spook, wraith, specter, spectre - a mental representation of some haunting experience; "he looked like he had seen a ghost"; "it aroused specters from his past"
--7 is a kind of apparition, phantom, phantasm, phantasma, shadow
- shade - a representation of the effect of shade in a picture or drawing (as by shading or darker pigment)
--8 is a kind of representation