Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun refinement has 5 senses
- polish, refinement, culture, cultivation, finish - a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality; "they performed with great polish"; "I admired the exquisite refinement of his prose"; "almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"--Joseph Conrad
--1 is a kind of perfection, flawlessness, ne plus ultra
- refinement, elaboration - the result of improving something; "he described a refinement of this technique"
--2 is a kind of improvement, betterment, advance
- refining, refinement, purification - the process of removing impurities (as from oil or metals or sugar etc.)
--3 is a kind of processing
--3 has particulars: rectification
- nuance, nicety, shade, subtlety, refinement - a subtle difference in meaning or opinion or attitude; "without understanding the finer nuances you can't enjoy the humor"; "don't argue about shades of meaning"
--4 is a kind of meaning, significance, signification, import
- refinement, civilization, civilisation - the quality of excellence in thought and manners and taste; "a man of intellectual refinement"; "he is remembered for his generosity and civilization"
--5 is a kind of excellence