Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective rust has 1 sense
- rust, rusty - of the color of rust
Antonym: achromatic (indirect, via chromatic)
Noun rust has 4 senses
- rust - a red or brown oxide coating on iron or steel caused by the action of oxygen and moisture
--1 is a kind of ferric oxide
--1 has substances: goethite, gothite
- rust - a reddish-brown discoloration of leaves and stems caused by a rust fungus
--2 is a kind of plant disease
--2 has particulars: blister rust, white-pine rust, white pine blister rust
- rust, rusting - the formation of reddish-brown ferric oxides on iron by low-temperature oxidation in the presence of water
--3 is a kind of corrosion, corroding, erosion; oxidation, oxidization, oxidisation
--3 has substances: ferric oxide
- rust, rust fungus - any of various fungi causing rust disease in plants
--4 is a kind of fungus
--4 is a member of Uredinales, order Uredinales
--4 has parts: aecium; aeciospore
--4 has particulars:
Verb rust has 3 senses
- corrode, rust - become destroyed by water, air, or an etching chemical such as an acid; "The metal corroded"; "The pipes rusted"
--1 is one way to decay, crumble, delapidate
These cars won't rust
- corrode, eat, rust - cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid; "The acid corroded the metal"; "The steady dripping of water rusted the metal stopper in the sink"
--2 is one way to damage
Something ----s something
- rust - become coated with oxide
--3 is one way to oxidise, oxidize, oxidate