Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun rock has 7 senses
- rock, stone - a lump or mass of hard consolidated mineral matter; "he threw a rock at me"
--1 is a kind of natural object
--1 has particulars:
- rock, stone - material consisting of the aggregate of minerals like those making up the Earth's crust; "that mountain is solid rock"; "stone is abundant in New England and there are many quarries"
--2 is a kind of material, stuff
--2 has substances: mineral
--2 has particulars:
- Rock, John Rock - United States gynecologist and devout Catholic who conducted the first clinical trials of the oral contraceptive pill (1890-1984)
--3 is a kind of gynecologist, gynaecologist, woman's doctor
- rock - (figurative) someone who is strong and stable and dependable; "he was her rock during the crisis"; "Thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church"--Gospel According to Matthew
--4 is a kind of good person
- rock candy, rock - hard stick bright-colored stick candy typically peppermint flavored
--5 is a kind of candy
- rock 'n' roll, rock'n'roll, rock-and-roll, rock and roll, rock, rock music - a genre of popular music originating in the 1950s; a blend of Black rhythm-and-blues with White country-and-western; "rock is a generic term for the range of styles that evolved out of rock'n'roll."
--6 is a kind of popular music, popular music genre
--6 has parts: backbeat
--6 has particulars:
- rock, careen, sway, tilt - pitching dangerously to one side
--7 is a kind of lurch, pitch, pitching
Verb rock has 2 senses
- rock, sway, shake - move back and forth or sideways; "the ship was rocking"; "the tall building swayed"; "She rocked back and forth on her feet"
--1 is one way to move back and forth
- rock, sway - cause to move back and forth; "rock the cradle"; "rock the baby"; "the wind swayed the trees gently"
--2 is one way to move, displace
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
Something ----s something