Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective rebel has 2 senses
- rebel - used by northerners of Confederate soldiers; "the rebel yell"
Antonym: northern (indirect, via southern)
- rebel, rebelling, rebellious - participating in organized resistance to a constituted government; "the rebelling confederacy"
Antonym: loyal (indirect, via disloyal)
Noun rebel has 3 senses
- Rebel, Reb, Johnny Reb, Johnny, grayback - `johnny' was applied as a nickname for Confederate soldiers by the Federal soldiers in the American Civil War; `grayback' derived from their gray Confederate uniforms
--1 is a kind of Confederate soldier
- insurgent, insurrectionist, freedom fighter, rebel - a person who takes part in an armed rebellion against the constituted authority (especially in the hope of improving conditions)
--2 is a kind of revolutionist, revolutionary, subversive, subverter; reformer, reformist, crusader, meliorist
--2 has particulars:
- maverick, rebel - someone who exhibits great independence in thought and action
--3 is a kind of nonconformist, recusant