Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun matter has 6 senses
- substance, matter - that which has mass and occupies space; "an atom is the smallest indivisible unit of matter"
--1 is a kind of entity
--1 has particulars:
| ||food, nutrient; ballast; bedding material, bedding, litter; body substance; protoplasm, living substance; drift; grinding; sediment, deposit; material, stuff; ylem; dark matter; antimatter; micronutrient; philosopher's stone; precursor; phlogiston; allergen; assay; pyrogen, pyrectic; mixture; hydrocolloid; adulterant, adulterator; atom; chemical element, element; propellant, propellent; denaturant; activator; inhibitor; ferment; substrate; carcinogen; compound, chemical compound; element; foamentation; fuel; medium; culture medium, medium; medium; humectant; inoculant, inoculum; jelly; leaven, leavening; fluid; fluid; sludge, slime, goo, gook, guck, gunk, muck, ooze; system; refrigerant; residue; lysin; poison, poisonous substance; chemical irritant; antigen; solid; solute; solvate; volatile; emanation; essence; ligand; metabolite; vegetable matter|
- matter, affair, thing - a vaguely specified concern; "several matters to attend to"; "it is none of your affair"; "things are going well"
--2 is a kind of concern
- topic, subject, issue, matter - some situation or event that is thought about; "he kept drifting off the topic"; "he had been thinking about the subject for several years"; "it is a matter for the police"
--3 is a kind of content, cognitive content, mental object
--3 has particulars: blind spot; res judicata, res adjudicata; area
- matter - a problem; "is anything the matter?"
--4 is a kind of trouble, problem
- matter - (used with negation) having consequence; "they were friends and it was no matter who won the games"
--5 is a kind of consequence, import, moment
- matter - written works (especially in books or magazines); "he always took some reading matter with him on the plane"
--6 is a kind of writing, written material, piece of writing
--6 has particulars:
Verb matter has 1 sense
- count, matter, weigh - have weight; have import, carry weight; "It does not matter much"
--1 is one way to be
It ----s that CLAUSE