Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun joke has 4 senses
- joke, gag, laugh, jest, jape - a humorous anecdote or remark intended to provoke laughter; "he told a very funny joke"; "he knows a million gags"; "thanks for the laugh"; "he laughed unpleasantly at hisown jest"; "even a schoolboy's jape is supposed to have some ascertainable point"
--1 is a kind of wit, humor, humour, witticism, wittiness
--1 has parts: punch line, laugh line, gag line, tag line
--1 has particulars:
| ||belly laugh, sidesplitter, howler, thigh-slapper, scream, wow, riot; dirty joke, dirty story, blue joke, blue story; ethnic joke; funny story, good story; in-joke; one-liner; shaggy dog story; sick joke; sight gag, visual joke|
- jest, joke, jocularity - activity characterized by good humor
--2 is a kind of diversion, recreation
--2 has particulars: drollery, waggery; leg-pull, leg-pulling; pleasantry
- antic, joke, prank, trick, caper, put-on - a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and amusement
--3 is a kind of diversion, recreation
--3 has particulars: dirty trick; practical joke
- joke - a triviality not to be taken seriously; "I regarded his campaign for mayor as a joke"
--4 is a kind of pettiness, triviality, slightness
Verb joke has 2 senses
- joke, jest - tell a joke; speak humorously; "He often jokes even when he appears serious"
--1 is one way to communicate, intercommunicate
- joke, jest - act in a funny or teasing way
--2 is one way to act, behave, do