Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective inactive has 12 senses
- inactive - not participating in a chemical reaction; "desired amounts of inactive chlorine"
Antonym: reactive (indirect, via unreactive)
- inactive - not progressing or increasing; or progressing slowly
Antonyms: active, progressive
- inactive - not active or exerting influence
Antonyms: active, activated
- extinct, inactive - of e.g. volcanos; permanently inactive; "an extinct volcano"
- dormant, inactive - of e.g. volcanos; temporarily inactive; "a dormant volcano"
- passive, inactive - lacking in energy or will; "Much benevolence of the passive order may be traced to a disinclination to inflict pain upon oneself"- George Meredith
- inactive - lacking activity; lying idle or unused; "an inactive mine"; "inactive accounts"; "inactive machinery"
Antonyms: active, brisk, bustling, busy, going, in full swing, open
- inactive - not engaged in full-time work; "inactive reserve" ; "an inactive member of the department"
Antonyms: active, activated, on, on duty, on-duty, practicing
- inactive - not active physically or mentally; "illness forced him to live an inactive life"; "dreamy and inactive by nature"
Antonyms: active, about, astir, acrobatic, athletic, gymnastic, agile, nimble, quick, spry, hot, hyperactive, overactive, lively, on the go
- inactive, reserve - not engaged in military action
Antonym: operational (indirect, via nonoperational)
- inactive, motionless, static, still - not in physical motion; "the inertia of an object at rest"
Antonym: moving (indirect, via nonmoving)
- abeyant, inactive, in abeyance, suspended - temporarily inactive
Antonym: expedited (indirect, via delayed)