Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective imitation has 1 sense
- fake, false, faux, imitation, simulated - not genuine or real; being an imitation of the genuine article; "it isn't fake anything; it's real synthetic fur"; "faux pearls"; "false teeth"; "decorated with imitation palm leaves"; "a purse of simulated alligator hide"
Antonym: natural (indirect, via artificial)
Noun imitation has 4 senses
- imitation - the doctrine that representations of nature or human behavior should be accurate imitations
--1 is a kind of doctrine, philosophy, philosophical system, school of thought, ism
--1 has particulars: mimesis
- imitation, counterfeit, forgery - a copy that is represented as the original
--2 is a kind of copy
--2 has particulars: fake, sham, postiche
- imitation - copying (or trying to copy) the actions of someone else
--3 is a kind of copying
--3 has particulars: emulation; mimicry
- caricature, imitation, impersonation - a representation of a person that is exaggerated for comic effect
--4 is a kind of wit, humor, humour, witticism, wittiness
--4 has particulars:
| ||mock-heroic; parody, lampoon, spoof, sendup, mockery, takeoff, burlesque, travesty, charade, pasquinade, put-on|