Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun grace has 7 senses
- grace, saving grace, state of grace - (Bhristian theology) a state of sanctification by God; the state of one who under such divine influence; "the conception of grace developed alongside the conception of sin"; "it was debated whether saving grace could be obtained outside the membership of the church"; "the Virgin lived in a state of grace"
--1 is a kind of state
- grace, gracility - elegance and beauty of movement or expression
--2 is a kind of gracefulness
- seemliness, grace - a sense of propriety and consideration for others
--3 is a kind of propriety, properness, correctitude
- grace, good will, goodwill - a disposition to kindness and compassion; benign good will; "the victor's grace in treating the vanquished"
--4 is a kind of good nature
- Grace - (Greek mythology) one of three sisters who were the givers of beauty and charm; a favorite subject for sculptors
--5 is a kind of Greek deity
--5 has particulars: Aglaia; Euphrosyne; Thalia
- grace, blessing, thanksgiving - a short prayer of thanks before a meal
--6 is a kind of prayer, petition, orison; thanks
- grace, grace of God, free grace - (Christian theology) the free and unmerited favor or beneficence of God; "God's grace is manifested in the salvation of sinners"; "there but for the grace of God go I"
--7 is a kind of beneficence
Verb grace has 2 senses
- decorate, adorn, grace, ornament, embellish, beautify - make more attractive by adding ornament, colour, etc.; "Decorate the room for the party"; "beautify yourself for the special day"
--1 is one way to change, alter, modify
They grace the halls with holly
- deck, adorn, decorate, grace, embellish, beautify - be beautiful to look at; "Flowers adorned the tables everywhere"
--2 is one way to be
Holly flowers grace the halls