Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun examination has 5 senses
- examination, scrutiny - the act of examining something closely (as for mistakes)
--1 is a kind of investigation, investigating
--1 has particulars:
| ||audit; autopsy, necropsy, postmortem, PM, postmortem examination; checkup, medical checkup, medical examination, medical exam, medical, health check; comparison, comparing; fine-tooth comb, fine-toothed comb; follow-up, followup, reexamination, review; going-over; once-over, look-over; palpation, tactual exploration; endoscopy; keratoscopy; rhinoscopy; scan; search; survey, study; testing; time and motion study, time-and-motion study, time-motion study, motion study, time study, work study; inspection, review; bank examination|
- examination, exam, test - a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge; "when the test was stolen the professor had to make a new set of questions"
--2 is a kind of communication, communicating
--2 has particulars:
| ||bar examination, bar exam; entrance examination, entrance exam; final examination, final exam, final; litmus test; midterm examination, midterm exam, midterm; oral, oral exam, oral examination, viva voce, viva; preliminary examination, preliminary exam, prelim; quiz; test paper, examination paper, exam paper, question sheet; tripos|
- interrogation, examination, interrogatory - formal systematic questioning
--3 is a kind of questioning, inquiring
--3 has particulars:
- examen, examination - examination of conscience (as done daily by Jesuits)
--4 is a kind of introspection, self-contemplation, self-examination
- examination, testing - the act of giving students or candidates a test (as by questions) to determine what they know or have learned
--5 is a kind of investigation, investigating
--5 has particulars: eleven-plus, 11-plus