Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun drum has 6 senses
- drum, membranophone, tympan - a musical percussion instrument; usually consists of a hollow cylinder with a membrane stretch across each end
--1 is a kind of percussion instrument, percussive instrument
--1 has parts: drumhead, head
--1 has particulars:
- drum - the sound of a drum; "he could hear the drums before he heard the fifes"
--2 is a kind of sound
- barrel, drum - a bulging cylindrical shape; hollow with flat ends
--3 is a kind of cylinder
- drum, metal drum - a cylindrical metal container used for shipping or storage of liquids
--4 is a kind of vessel
- brake drum, drum - a hollow cast-iron cylinder attached to the wheel that forms part of the brakes
--5 is a kind of cylinder
--5 is a part of drum brake, drum brakes
- drum, drumfish - small to medium-sized bottom-dwelling food and game fishes of shallow coastal and fresh waters that make a drumming noise
--6 is a kind of sciaenid fish, sciaenid
--6 has particulars:
Verb drum has 3 senses
- drum, beat, thrum - make a rhythmic sound; "Rain drummed against the windshield"; "The drums beat all night"
--1 is one way to sound, go
Something is ----ing PP
- drum - play a percussion instrument
--2 is one way to play
- cram, grind away, drum, bone up, swot, get up, mug up, swot up, bone - study intensively, as before an exam; "I had to bone up on my Latin verbs before the final exam"
--3 is one way to study, hit the books
Somebody ----s something PP