Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun drain has 4 senses
- drain, drainage - emptying accomplished by draining
--1 is a kind of emptying, voidance, evacuation
- drain - tube inserted into a body cavity (as during surgery) to remove unwanted material
--2 is a kind of tube, tubing
- drain, drainpipe, waste pipe - a pipe through which liquid is carried away
--3 is a kind of pipe, pipage, piping
--3 has particulars:
- drain - a gradual depletion of energy or resources; "a drain on resources"; "a drain of young talent by emmigration"
--4 is a kind of depletion
--4 has particulars: drawing, drawing off; brain drain
Verb drain has 4 senses
- drain, run out - flow off gradually; "The rain water drains into this big vat"
--1 is one way to run, flow, feed, course
The water drains
- drain - deplete of resources; "The exercise class drains me of energy"
--2 is one way to consume, eat up, use up, eat, deplete, exhaust, run through, wipe out
Somebody ----s something
Something ----s somebody
Something ----s something
- drain - empty of liquid; drain the liquid from; "We drained the oil tank"
--3 is one way to empty
They drain the water
- enfeeble, debilitate, drain - make weak; "Life in the camp drained him"
--4 is one way to weaken
The performance is likely to drain Sue