Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective blue has 8 senses
- blue, bluish, blueish, light-blue, dark-blue, blue-black - having a color similar to that of a clear unclouded sky; "October's bright blue weather"- Helen Hunt Jackson; "a blue flame"; "blue haze of tobacco smoke"
Antonym: achromatic (indirect, via chromatic)
- blue - used to signify the Union forces in the Civil War (who wore blue uniforms); "a ragged blue line"
Antonym: southern (indirect, via northern)
- blue, depressed, dispirited, down, downcast, downhearted, down in the mouth, low, low-spirited - low in spirits; "lonely and blue in a strange city"; "depressed by the loss of his job"; "a dispirited and resigned expression on her face"; "downcast after his defeat"; "feeling discouraged and downhearted"
Antonym: elated (indirect, via dejected)
- blasphemous, blue, profane - characterized by profanity or cursing; "foul-mouthed and blasphemous"; "blue language"; "profane words"
Antonyms: clean, unobjectionable (indirect, via dirty)
- blue, gamy, gamey, juicy, naughty, racy, risque, spicy - suggestive of sexual impropriety; "a blue movie"; "blue jokes"; "he skips asterisks and gives you the gamy details"; "a juicy scandal"; "a naughty wink"; "naughty words"; "racy anecdotes"; "a risque story"; "spicy gossip"
Antonym: unsexy (indirect, via sexy)
- aristocratic, aristocratical, blue, blue-blooded, gentle, patrician - belonging to or characteristic of the nobility or aristocracy; "an aristocratic family"; "aristocratic Bostonians"; "aristocratic government"; "a blue family"; "blue blood"; "the blue-blooded aristocracy"; "of gentle blood"; "patrician landholders of the American South"; "aristocratic bearing"; "aristocratic features"; "patrician tastes"
Antonym: lowborn (indirect, via noble)
- blue, puritan, puritanic, puritanical - morally rigorous and strict; "blue laws"; "the puritan work ethic"; "puritanic distaste for alcohol"; "she was anything but puritanical in her behavior"
Antonym: indulgent (indirect, via nonindulgent)
- blue, dark, depressing, disconsolate, dismal, dispiriting, gloomy, grim - causing dejection; "a blue day"; "the dark days of the war"; "a week of rainy depressing weather"; "a disconsolate winter landscape"; "the first dismal dispiriting days of November"; "a dark gloomy day"; "grim rainy weather"
Antonym: cheerful (indirect, via cheerless)
Noun blue has 7 senses
- blue, blueness - the color of the clear sky in the daytime; "he had eyes of bright blue"
--1 is a kind of chromatic color, chromatic colour, spectral color, spectral colour
--1 has particulars:
| ||azure, cerulean, sapphire, lazuline, sky-blue; powder blue; steel blue; Prussian blue; dark blue, navy, navy blue; greenish blue, aqua, aquamarine, turquoise, cobalt blue, peacock blue; purplish blue, royal blue; ultramarine; Payne's gray|
- blue - blue clothing; "she was wearing blue"
--2 is a kind of clothing, article of clothing, vesture, wear
- blue - any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are blue; "the Union army was a vast blue"
--3 is a kind of organization, organisation
--3 has particulars: Union Army
- blue sky, blue, blue air, wild blue yonder - the sky as viewed during daylight; "he shot an arrow into the blue"
--4 is a kind of sky
- bluing, blueing, blue - used to whiten laundry or hair or give it a bluish tinge
--5 is a kind of dye, dyestuff
- amobarbital sodium, blue, blue angel, blue devil, Amytal - the sodium salt of amobarbital that is used as a barbiturate; used as a sedative and a hypnotic
--6 is a kind of amobarbital
- blue - any of numerous small chiefly blue butterflies of the family Lycaenidae
--7 is a kind of lycaenid, lycaenid butterfly
--7 is a member of Lycaena, genus Lycaena