Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun bet has 2 senses
- stake, stakes, bet, wager - the money risked on a gamble
--1 is a kind of gamble
--1 is a part of pool
--1 has particulars: pot, jackpot, kitty; ante; pool, kitty
- bet, wager - the act of gambling; "he did it on a bet"
--2 is a kind of gambling, gaming, play
--2 has particulars:
Verb bet has 3 senses
- bet, wager - maintain with or as if with a bet; "I bet she will be there!"
--1 is one way to predict, foretell, prognosticate, call, forebode, anticipate, promise
Somebody ----s that CLAUSE
- bet, wager, play - stake on the outcome of an issue; "I bet $100 on that new horse"; "She played all her money on the dark horse"
--2 is one way to gamble
They bet the money
- count, bet, depend, look, calculate, reckon - have faith or confidence in; "you can count on me to help you any time"; "Look to your friends for support"; "You can bet on that!"; "Depend on your family in times of crisis"
--3 is one way to trust, swear, rely, bank
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody