Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun watching has 1 sense
- observation, observance, watching - the act of observing; taking a patient look
--1 is a kind of look, looking, looking at
--1 has particulars: monitoring; sighting; stargazing
Verb watch has 7 senses
- watch - look attentively; "watch a basketball game"
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
- watch, observe, follow, watch over, keep an eye on - follow with the eyes or the mind; "Keep an eye on the baby, please!"; "The world is watching Sarajevo"; "She followed the men with the binoculars"
--2 is one way to check, check up on, look into, check out, suss out, check over, go over, check into
The children watch the ball
- watch, view, see, catch, take in - see or watch; "view a show on television"; "This program will be seen all over the world"; "view an exhibition"; "Catch a show on Broadway"; "see a movie"
--3 is one way to watch
Sam and Sue watch the movie
- watch, look on - observe with attention; "They watched as the murderer was executed"
=> Somebody ----s something
- watch, look out, watch out - be vigilant, be on the lookout, be on one's guard, be careful; "Watch out for pickpockets!"
The men watch the area for animals
The men watch for animals in the area
- watch - observe or determine by looking; "Watch how the dog chases the cats away"
Somebody ----s whether INFINITIVE
- determine, check, find out, see, ascertain, watch, learn - find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort; "I want to see whether she speaks French"; "See whether it works"; "find out if he speaks Russian"; "Check whether the train leaves on time"
They watch whether there was a traffic accident