Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective tonic has 5 senses
- tonic - of or relating to or producing normal tone or tonus in muscles or tissue; "a tonic reflex"; "tonic muscle contraction"
- tonic, tonal - employing variations in pitch to distinguish meanings of otherwise similar words; "Chinese is a tonal language"
- tonic, accented - used of syllables; "a tonic syllables carries the main stress in a word"
Antonyms: atonic, unaccented
- tonic - relating to or being the keynote of a major or minor scale; "tonic harmony"
Antonyms: atonal, unkeyed (indirect, via tonal)
- bracing, brisk, energizing, energising, fresh, refreshing, refreshful, tonic - imparting vitality and energy; "the bracing mountain air"
Antonym: debilitating (indirect, via invigorating)
Noun tonic has 4 senses
- tonic, tonic water, quinine water - lime- or lemon-flavored carbonated water containing quinine
--1 is a kind of soft drink
--1 is a substance of gin and tonic
--1 has substances: quinine
- pop, soda, soda pop, soda water, tonic - a sweet drink containing carbonated water and flavoring; "in New England they call sodas tonics"
--2 is a kind of soft drink
--2 has substances:
- tonic, keynote - (music) the first note of a diatonic scale
--3 is a kind of note, musical note, tone
- tonic, restorative - a medicine that strengthens and invigorates
--4 is a kind of medicine, medication, medicament, medicinal drug
--4 has particulars: bracer, pick-me-up