Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective plain has 9 senses
- apparent, evident, manifest, patent, plain - clearly apparent or obvious to the mind or senses; "the effects of the drought are apparent to anyone who sees the parched fields"; "evident hostility"; "manifest disapproval"; "patent advantages"; "made his meaning plain"; "it is plain that he is no reactionary"; "in plain view"
Antonym: unobvious (indirect, via obvious)
- plain - not elaborate or elaborated; simple; "plain food"; "stuck to the plain facts"; "a plain blue suit"; "a plain rectangular brick building"
Antonyms: fancy, aureate, florid, flamboyant, showy, baroque, churrigueresque, churrigueresco, busy, fussy, battlemented, castellated, castled, dressy, crackle, damascene, damask, elaborate, luxuriant, embattled, crenelated, crenelate, crenellated, crenellate, indented, fanciful, garnished, lacy, lacelike, rich, rococo, vermicular, vermiculate, vermiculated, puff, puffed
- plain, unpatterned - lacking patterns especially in color
Antonyms: patterned, banded, blotched, blotchy, splotched, brindled, brindle, brinded, tabby, burled, checked, checkered, chequered, dappled, mottled, dotted, flecked, specked, speckled, stippled, figured, floral, flowered, freckled, lentiginous, lentiginose, laced, marbled, marbleized, marbleised, moire, watered, patched, spotted, pinstriped, pinstripe, pointilist, pointillistic, slashed, sprigged, streaked, streaky, striped, stripy, tessellated, veined, venose, veinlike
- plain, sheer, unmingled, unmixed - not mixed with extraneous elements; "plain water"; "sheer wine"; "not an unmixed blessing"
Antonym: impure (indirect, via pure)
- plain, unvarnished - free from any effort to soften to disguise; "the plain and unvarnished truth"; "the unvarnished candor of old people and children"
Antonym: indirect (indirect, via direct)
- plain, unembellished, unornamented - lacking embellishment or ornamentation; "a plain hair style"; "unembellished white walls"; "functional architecture featuring stark unornamented concrete"
Antonyms: adorned, decorated (indirect, via unadorned)
- literal, plain, unembellished - lacking stylistic embellishment; "a literal description"; "wrote good but plain prose"; "a plain unadorned account of the coronation"; "a forthright unembellished style"
Antonym: rhetorical (indirect, via unrhetorical)
- plain, popular - comprehensible to the general public; "written for the popular press in plain nontechnical language"
Antonym: specific (indirect, via general, nonspecific)
- homely, plain - lacking in physical beauty or proportion; "a homely child"; "several of the buildings were downright homely"; "a plain girl with a freckled face"
Antonym: attractive (indirect, via unattractive)
Adverbial plain has 1 sense
- obviously, evidently, manifestly, patently, apparently, plainly, plain - unmistakably (`plain' is often used informally for `plainly'); "the answer is obviously wrong"; "she was in bed and evidently in great pain"; "he was manifestly too important to leave off the guest list"; "it is all patently nonsense"; "she has apparently been living here for some time"; "I thought he owned the property, but apparently not"; "You are plainly wrong"; "he is plain stubborn"
Noun plain has 2 senses
- plain, field, champaign - extensive tract of level open land; "they emerged from the woods onto a vast open plain"; "he longed for the fields of his youth"
--1 is a kind of land, dry land, earth, ground, solid ground, terra firma
--1 has particulars:
- knit, knit stitch, plain, plain stitch - a basic knitting stitch
--2 is a kind of knitting stitch
Verb plain has 1 sense
- complain, kick, plain, sound off, quetch, kvetch - express complaints, discontent, displeasure, or unhappiness; "My mother complains all day"; "She has a lot to kick about"
Somebody ----s that CLAUSE