Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun permit has 3 senses
- license, licence, permit - a legal document giving official permission to do something
--1 is a kind of legal document, legal instrument, official document, instrument
--1 has particulars:
| ||building permit; driver's license, driver's licence, driving license, driving licence; fishing license, fishing licence, fishing permit; hunting license, hunting licence, hunting permit, game license; learner's permit; letter of marque, letters of marque, letter of mark and reprisal; liquor license, liquor licence; marriage license, marriage licence, wedding license, wedding licence; occupation license, occupation licence; pass, liberty chit|
- license, permission, permit - the act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization
--2 is a kind of authorization, authorisation, empowerment
--2 has particulars: clearance; conge; allowance; dispensation; toleration
- permit, Trachinotus falcatus - large game fish; found in waters of the West Indies
--3 is a kind of pompano
Verb permit has 3 senses
- permit, allow, let, countenance - consent to, give permission; "She permitted her son to visit her estranged husband"; "I won't let the police search her basement"; "I cannot allow you to see your exam"
--1 is one way to accept, consent, go for
Antonyms: forbid, prohibit, interdict, proscribe, veto, disallow
They permit him to write the letter
- let, allow, permit - make it possible through a specific action or lack of action for something to happen; "This permits the water to rush in"; "This sealed door won't allow the water come into the basement"; "This will permit the rain to run off"
Somebody ----s somebody INFINITIVE
Something ----s INFINITIVE
- allow, permit, tolerate - allow the presence of or allow (an activity) without opposing or prohibiting; "We don't allow dogs here"; "Children are not permitted beyond this point"; "We cannot tolerate smoking in the hospital"
--3 is one way to permit, allow, let, countenance
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody