Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective past has 3 senses
- past - earlier than the present time; no longer current; "time past"; "his youth is past"; "this past Thursday"; "the past year"
Antonyms: present, existing, immediate, instant, inst, latter-day, future, approaching, forthcoming, upcoming, coming, future day, early, in store, prospective, proximo, prox, emerging, rising
- past, preceding, retiring - of a person who has held and relinquished a position or office; "a retiring member of the board"
Antonym: incoming (indirect, via outgoing)
- past - a verb tense or other construction referring to events or states that existed at some previous time; "past participle"
Adverbial past has 1 sense
- by, past - so as to pass a given point; "every hour a train goes past"
Noun past has 3 senses
- past, past times, yesteryear, yore - the time that has elapsed; "forget the past"
--1 is a kind of time
Antonyms: future, hereafter, futurity, time to come
--1 has particulars:
- past - a earlier period in someone's life (especially one that they have reason to keep secret); "reporters dug into the candidate's past"
--2 is a kind of time period, period of time, period
--2 is a part of life
- past, past tense - a verb tense that expresses actions or states in the past
--3 is a kind of tense
--3 has particulars: preterit, preterite