Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective modern has 5 senses
- modern - belonging to the modern era; since the Middle Ages; "modern art"; "modern furniture"; "modern history"; "totem poles are modern rather than prehistoric"
Antonyms: nonmodern, antebellum, horse-and-buggy, medieval, mediaeval, gothic, old-world, Victorian
- mod, modern, modernistic - relating to a recently developed fashion or style; "their offices are in a modern skyscraper"; "tables in modernistic designs";
Antonyms: unfashionable, unstylish (indirect, via fashionable)
- modern - characteristic of present-day art and music and literature and architecture
Antonym: classical (indirect, via nonclassical)
- advanced, forward-looking, innovative, modern - ahead of the times; "the advanced teaching methods"; "had advanced views on the subject"; "a forward-looking corporation"; "is British industry innovative enough?"
Antonym: regressive (indirect, via progressive)
- Modern, New - used of a living language; being the current stage in its development; "Modern English"; "New Hebrew is Israeli Hebrew"
Antonym: early (indirect, via middle, late)
Antonym: middle (indirect, via late, early)
Noun modern has 2 senses
- modern - a contemporary person
--1 is a kind of person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, human, soul
- modern, modern font, Bodoni, Bodoni font - a typeface (based on an 18th century design by Gianbattista Bodoni) distinguished by regular shape and hairline serifs and heavy downstrokes
--2 is a kind of proportional font
Antonyms: old style, old style font