Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Adjective mat has 1 sense
- flat, mat, matt, matte, matted - not reflecting light; not glossy; "flat wall paint"; "a photograph with a matte finish"
Antonym: bright (indirect, via dull)
Noun mat has 6 senses
- mat - a thick flat pad used as a floor covering
--1 is a kind of floor cover, floor covering
--1 has particulars: doormat, welcome mat
- mat, matting - mounting consisting of a border or background for a picture
--2 is a kind of mounting
- mat, gym mat - sports equipment consisting of a piece of thick padding on the floor for gymnastic sports
--3 is a kind of sports equipment, sporting goods
--3 has particulars: canvas, canvass; wrestling mat
- Master of Arts in Teaching, MAT - a master's degree in teaching
--4 is a kind of master's degree
- flatness, lusterlessness, lustrelessness, mat, matt, matte - the property of having little or no contrast; lacking highlights or gloss
--5 is a kind of dullness, dulness
- mat - a small pad of material that is used to protect surface from an object placed on it
--6 is a kind of pad
--6 has particulars: drip mat; mousepad, mouse mat; place mat
Verb mat has 2 senses
- entangle, tangle, mat, snarl - twist together or entwine into a confusing mass; "The child entangled the cord"
--1 is one way to twist, twine, distort
They mat their hair
- felt, felt up, mat up, matt-up, matte up, matte, mat - change texture so as to become matted and felt-like; "The fabric felted up after several washes"
--2 is one way to change