Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun indulgence has 5 senses
- indulgence, self-indulgence - an inability to resist the gratification of whims and desires
--1 is a kind of indiscipline, undiscipline
--1 has particulars: luxury
- indulgence, lenience, leniency - a disposition to yield to the wishes of someone; "too much indulgence spoils a child"
--2 is a kind of permissiveness, tolerance
--2 has particulars: softness
- indulgence, indulging, pampering, humoring - the act of indulging or gratifying a desire
--3 is a kind of gratification
--3 has particulars:
- folly, foolery, tomfoolery, craziness, lunacy, indulgence - foolish or senseless behavior
--4 is a kind of play, frolic, romp, gambol, caper
--4 has particulars:
- indulgence - the remission by the pope of the temporal punishment in purgatory that is still due for sins even after absolution; "in the Middle Ages the unrestricted sale of indulgences by pardoners became a widespread abuse"
--5 is a kind of absolution, remission, remittal, remission of sin