Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective hostile has 7 senses
- hostile - characterized by enmity or ill will; "a hostile nation"; "a hostile remark"; "hostile actions"
Antonyms: amicable, friendly, unhostile, well-meaning, unthreatening
- hostile - not belonging to your own country's forces or those of an ally; "hostile naval and air forces"
- hostile - very unfriendly; "a hostile attitude"
Antonym: friendly (indirect, via unfriendly)
- hostile - impossible to bring into friendly accord; "hostile factions"
Antonym: reconcilable (indirect, via irreconcilable)
- hostile, uncongenial, unfriendly - very unfavorable to life or growth; "a hostile climate"; "an uncongenial atmosphere"; "an uncongenial soil"; "the unfriendly environment at high altitudes"
Antonym: hospitable (indirect, via inhospitable)
- hostile - marked by features that oppose constructive treatment or development; "not able to accomplish much in such a hostile environment"
Antonyms: favorable, favourable (indirect, via unfavorable)
- hostile - used of attempts to buy or take control of a business; "hostile takeover"; "hostile tender offer"
Antonyms: unaggressive, nonaggressive (indirect, via aggressive)