Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective fearful has 5 senses
- awful, dire, direful, dread, dreaded, dreadful, fearful, fearsome, frightening, horrendous, horrific, terrible - causing fear or dread or terror; "the awful war"; "an awful risk"; "dire news"; "a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"; "the dread presence of the headmaster"; "polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"; "a dreadful storm"; "a fearful howling"; "horrendous explosions shook the city"; "a terrible curse"
Antonym: unalarming (indirect, via alarming)
- cowardly, fearful - lacking courage; ignobly timid and faint-hearted; "cowardly dogs, ye will not aid me then"- P.B.Shelley
- fearful, frightful, terrible - extremely distressing; "fearful slum conditions"; "a frightful mistake"; "suffered terrible thirst"
Antonym: good (indirect, via bad)
- fearful, timorous, trepid - timid by nature or revealing timidity; "timorous little mouse"; "in a timorous tone"; "cast fearful glances at the large dog"
Antonym: bold (indirect, via timid)
- fearful - experiencing or showing fear; "a fearful glance"; "fearful of criticism"
Antonyms: unafraid, fearless (indirect, via afraid)