Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun father has 8 senses
- father, male parent, begetter - a male parent (also used as a term of address to your father); "his father was born in Atlanta"
--1 is a kind of parent
Antonyms: mother, female parent
--1 has particulars:
- forefather, father, sire - the founder of a family; "keep the faith of our forefathers"
--2 is a kind of ancestor, ascendant, ascendent, antecedent, root
--2 has particulars: patriarch
- Father, Padre - `Father' is a term of address for priests in some churches (especially the Roman Catholic Church or the Orthodox Catholic Church); `Padre' is frequently used in the military
--3 is a kind of priest
- Church Father, Father of the Church, Father - (Christianity) any of about 70 theologians in the period from the 2nd to the 7th century whose writing established and confirmed official church doctrine; in the Roman Catholic Church some were later declared saints and became Doctor of the Church; the best known Lation Church Fathers are Ambrose, Augustine, Gregory the Great, and Jerome; those who wrote in Greek include Athanasius, Basil, Gregory Nazianzen, and John Chrysostom
--4 is a kind of theologian, theologist, theologizer, theologiser
--4 has particulars:
| ||Ambrose, Saint Ambrose, St. Ambrose; Athanasius, Saint Athanasius, St. Athanasius, Athanasius the Great; Augustine, Saint Augustine, St. Augustine, Augustine of Hippo; Basil, St. Basil, Basil of Caesarea, Basil the Great, St. Basil the Great; Gregory Nazianzen, Gregory of Nazianzen, St. Gregory of Nazianzen; Jerome, Saint Jerome, St. Jerome, Hieronymus, Eusebius Hieronymus, Eusebius Sophronius Hieronymus; John Chrysostom, St. John Chrysostom|
- father - a person who holds an important or distinguished position in some organization; "the tennis fathers ruled in her favor"; "the city fathers endorsed the proposal"
--5 is a kind of leader
- Father, Father-God, Fatherhood - God when considered as the first person in the Trinity; "hear our prayers, Heavenly Father"
--6 is a kind of hypostasis
- founder, beginner, founding father, father - a person who founds or establishes some institution; "George Washington is the father of his country"
--7 is a kind of originator, conceiver, mastermind
--7 has particulars: cofounder; colonizer, coloniser; foundress
- don, father - the head of an organized crime family
--8 is a kind of head, chief, top dog