Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective evil has 4 senses
- evil, wicked - morally bad or wrong; "evil purposes"; "an evil influence"; "evil deeds"
Antonyms: good, angelic, angelical, beatific, saintlike, saintly, sainted, beneficent, benevolent, gracious, white, worthy, goody-goody, redemptive, redeeming, saving
- depraved, evil, vicious - having the nature of vice
Antonym: virtuous (indirect, via wicked)
- evil, harmful, injurious - tending to cause great harm
Antonyms: benign, benignant (indirect, via malign)
- malefic, malevolent, malign, evil - having or exerting a malignant influence; "malevolent stars"; "a malefic force"
Antonym: beneficent (indirect, via maleficent)
Noun evil has 3 senses
- evil, immorality, wickedness, iniquity - morally objectionable behavior
--1 is a kind of transgression, evildoing
--1 has particulars:
- evil - that which causes harm or destruction or misfortune; "the evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones"- Shakespeare
--2 is a kind of bad, badness
--2 has particulars: Four Horsemen
- evil, evilness - the quality of being morally wrong in principle or practice; "attempts to explain the origin of evil in the world"
--3 is a kind of immorality
Antonyms: good, goodness
--3 has particulars:
| ||malevolence, malevolency, malice; malignity, malignancy, malignance; maleficence, mischief, balefulness; worst; nefariousness, wickedness, vileness; reprehensibility; villainy, villainousness; perversity; error, wrongdoing; frailty, vice|