Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Adjective elder has 2 senses
- elder, older, sr. - used of the older of two persons of the same name especially used to distinguish a father from his son; "Bill Adams, Sr."
Antonym: junior (indirect, via senior)
- big, elder, older - older brother or sister; "big sister"
Noun elder has 3 senses
- elder, senior - a person who is older than you are
--1 is a kind of adult, grownup
--1 has particulars: dean, doyen; doyenne
- elder, elderberry bush - any of numerous shrubs or small trees of temperate and subtropical northern hemisphere having white flowers and berrylike fruit
--2 is a kind of shrub, bush
--2 is a member of Sambucus, genus Sambucus
--2 has particulars:
| ||American elder, black elderberry, sweet elder, Sambucus canadensis; blue elder, blue elderberry, Sambucus caerulea; dwarf elder, danewort, Sambucus ebulus; bourtree, black elder, common elder, elderberry, European elder, Sambucus nigra; American red elder, red-berried elder, stinking elder, Sambucus pubens; European red elder, red-berried elder, Sambucus racemosa|
- elder - any of various church officers
--3 is a kind of church officer
--3 has particulars: presbyter