Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective conventional has 7 senses
- conventional - following accepted customs and proprieties; "conventional wisdom"; "she had strayed from the path of conventional behavior"; "conventional forms of address"
Antonyms: bohemian, go-as-you-please, irregular, maverick, unorthodox, unconventional, alternative, bizarre, eccentric, freakish, freaky, flaky, off-the-wall, outlandish, outre, devil-may-care, raffish, rakish, far-out, kinky, offbeat, quirky, way-out, spaced-out, spacy, spacey
- conventional, established - conforming with accepted standards; "a conventional view of the world"
Antonym: unorthodox (indirect, via orthodox)
- conventional - (weapons) using non-nuclear energy for propulsion or destruction; "conventional warfare"; "conventional weapons"
Antonyms: nuclear, atomic, thermonuclear
- conventional - unimaginative and conformist; "conventional bourgeois lives"; "conventional attitudes"
Antonyms: unconventional, alternative, bizarre, eccentric, freakish, freaky, flaky, off-the-wall, outlandish, outre, devil-may-care, raffish, rakish, far-out, kinky, offbeat, quirky, way-out, spaced-out, spacy, spacey
- conventional, formal, schematic - represented in simplified or symbolic form
Antonym: representational (indirect, via nonrepresentational)
- conventional - in accord with or being a tradition or practice accepted from the past; "a conventional church wedding with the bride in traditional white"; "the conventional handshake"
Antonyms: nontraditional, untraditional (indirect, via traditional)
- ceremonious, conventional - rigidly formal or bound by convention; "their ceremonious greetings did not seem heartfelt"
Antonym: informal (indirect, via formal)