Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun contrast has 5 senses
- contrast, direct contrast - the opposition or dissimilarity of things that are compared; "in contrast to", "by contrast"
--1 is a kind of opposition, oppositeness
- contrast - the act of distinguishing by comparing differences
--2 is a kind of comparison, comparing
- line, dividing line, demarcation, contrast - a conceptual separation or demarcation; "there is a narrow line between sanity and insanity"
--3 is a kind of differentiation, distinction
--3 has particulars: Rubicon, point of no return
- contrast - the perceptual effect of the juxtaposition of very different colors
--4 is a kind of visual perception, beholding, seeing
- contrast - the range of optical density and tone on a photographic negative or print (or the extent to which adjacent areas on a television screen differ in brightness)
--5 is a kind of scope, range, reach, orbit, compass, ambit