Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective brooding has 1 sense
- brooding, broody, contemplative, meditative, musing, pensive, pondering, reflective, ruminative - persistently or morbidly thoughtful
Antonym: thoughtless (indirect, via thoughtful)
Noun brooding has 2 senses
- brooding, incubation - sitting on eggs so as to hatch them by the warmth of the body
--1 is a kind of parturition, birth, giving birth, birthing
- pensiveness, brooding - persistent morbid meditation on a problem
--2 is a kind of melancholy
Verb brood has 5 senses
- brood, dwell - think moodily or anxiously about something
--1 is one way to worry, care
Sam and Sue brood over the results of the experiment
- brood, hover, loom, bulk large - hang over, as of something threatening, dark, or menacing; "The terrible vision brooded over her all day long"
--2 is one way to hang
Some big birds brood in the tree
There brood some big birds in the tree
- sulk, pout, brood - be in a huff and display one's displeasure; "She is pouting because she didn't get what she wanted"
- grizzle, brood, stew - be in a huff; be silent or sullen
--4 is one way to sulk, pout, brood
Somebody ----s PP
- brood, hatch, cover, incubate - sit on (eggs); "Birds brood"; "The female covers the eggs"
--5 is one way to reproduce, procreate, multiply