Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective alien has 2 senses
- alien, foreign - not contained in or deriving from the essential nature of something; "an economic theory alien to the spirit of capitalism"; "the mysticism so foreign to the French mind and temper"; "jealousy is foreign to her nature"
Antonyms: intrinsic, intrinsical (indirect, via extrinsic)
- alien, exotic - being or from or characteristic of another place or part of the world; "alien customs"; "exotic plants in a greenhouse"; "exotic cuisine"
Antonym: native (indirect, via foreign)
Noun alien has 3 senses
- foreigner, alien, noncitizen, outlander - a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country
--1 is a kind of traveler, traveller
--1 has particulars:
- stranger, alien, unknown - anyone who does not belong in the environment in which they are found
--2 is a kind of intruder, interloper, trespasser
--2 has particulars: foreigner, outsider
- extraterrestrial being, extraterrestrial, alien - a form of life assumed to exist outside the Earth or its atmosphere
--3 is a kind of hypothetical creature
Verb alien has 2 senses
- alien, alienate - transfer property or ownership; "The will aliened the property to the heirs"
--1 is one way to transfer
Somebody ----s something
- estrange, alienate, alien, disaffect - arouse hostility or indifference in where there had formerly been love, affection, or friendliness
--2 is one way to change, alter, modify
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody