Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun absorption has 6 senses
- absorption, soaking up - (chemistry) a process in which one substance permeates another; a fluid permeates or is dissolved by a liquid or solid
--1 is a kind of sorption
--1 has particulars: imbibition
- absorption - (physics) the process in which incident radiated energy is retained without reflection or transmission on passing through a medium; "the absorption of photons by atoms or molecules"
--2 is a kind of natural process, natural action, action, activity
--2 is a part of extinction
- assimilation, absorption - the social process of absorbing one cultural group into harmony with another
--3 is a kind of social process
--3 has particulars:
- assimilation, absorption - the process of absorbing nutrients into the body after digestion
--4 is a kind of organic process, biological process
--4 has particulars: malabsorption
- concentration, engrossment, absorption, immersion - complete attention; intense mental effort
--5 is a kind of attention
--5 has particulars:
- preoccupation, preoccupancy, absorption, engrossment - the mental state of being preoccupied by something
--6 is a kind of cognitive state, state of mind
--6 has particulars: abstractedness, abstraction; absentmindedness