Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective lasting has 5 senses
- permanent, lasting - continuing or enduring without marked change in status or condition or place; "permanent secretary to the president"; "permanent address"; "literature of permanent value"
- durable, lasting, long-lasting, long-lived - existing for a long time; "hopes for a durable peace"; "a long-lasting friendship"
Antonym: short (indirect, via long)
- persistent, lasting - retained; not shed; "persistent leaves remain attached past maturity"; "the persistent gills of fishes"
- lasting - lasting a long time without change; "a lasting relationship"
Antonym: unstable (indirect, via stable)
- everlasting, eternal, lasting, eonian, aeonian - lasting for an indefinitely long period of time
Antonym: mortal (indirect, via immortal)
Verb last has 2 senses
- last, endure - persist or be long; in time; "The bad weather lasted for three days"
--1 is one way to measure
Something ----s something
- survive, last, live, live on, go, endure, hold up, hold out - continue to live; endure or last; "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The racecar driver lived through several very serious accidents"
The business is going to last