Definitions from WordNet
Definitions from the Web
1. A part of an ancient astronomical instrument consisting of a vertical rod or plate that casts a shadow, enabling the position of the sun or stars to be calculated.
Sample sentence: The gnomon of the sundial was carefully aligned to accurately measure the time.
Related product: Click here to search for gnomon related products on Amazon
1. The part of a parallelogram or circular sector which remains after the removal of a similar parallelogram or circular sector respectively from one of its corners.
Sample sentence: By subtracting the smaller sector from the larger one, we can find the area of the gnomon between them.
Related product: Click here to search for geometry tools on Amazon
1. A legendary dwarf-like creature in folklore, often depicted as a small bearded man wearing a pointed hat.
Sample sentence: According to the stories, gnomons are skilled craftsmen who live underground.
Related product: Click here to search for gnome figures on Amazon
1. An ornament or design representing a small pyramidal or conical structure, often found as a decorative element on buildings.
Sample sentence: The gnomons on the corners of the roof added an elegant touch to the otherwise plain building.
Related product: Click here to search for architectural decor on Amazon
1. The upper part of the shaft of a leaf.
Sample sentence: The gnomon of the leaf provided support and allowed for optimal sunlight absorption.
Related product: Click here to search for botanical books on Amazon
gnetum gnemon gnocchi gnol gnome gnomic gnominious gnomish gnomo gnomon gnosis gnostic gnosticism gnostics gnot gnp gnraled gnsrupload dialog|