Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun explosion has 7 senses
- explosion, detonation, blowup - a violent release of energy caused by a chemical or nuclear reaction
--1 is a kind of discharge
--1 has particulars:
- explosion, burst - the act of exploding or bursting something; "the explosion of the firecrackers awoke the children"; "the burst of an atom bomb creates enormous radiation aloft"
--2 is a kind of change of integrity
--2 has particulars: detonation; fulmination
- explosion - a sudden great increase; "the population explosion"; "the information explosion"
--3 is a kind of increase
- explosion - the noise caused by an explosion; "the explosion was heard a mile away"
--4 is a kind of noise
- plosion, explosion - the terminal forced release of pressure built up during the occlusive phase of a stop consonant
--5 is a kind of release, tone ending
--5 is a part of
- explosion - a sudden outburst; "an explosion of laughter"; "an explosion of rage"
--6 is a kind of effusion, gush, outburst, blowup, ebullition
- explosion - a golf shot from a bunker that typically moves sand as well as the golf ball
--7 is a kind of golf stroke, golf shot, swing